English Language Learners (ELL) Program
Welcome to Sterling Elementary 2014-1015!
ELL in Loudoun County Public Schools is a resource program designed to support English language learners to gain language proficiency in order to be active and engaged learners. The following elements are the main focus of the ELL program:
- Listening: learning to understand English spoken in a wide range of social and academic contexts.
- Speaking: learning to speak English with increasing accuracy and fluency, in order to convey meaning appropriate to a wide range of social and academic contexts
- Reading: learning to read English with increasing fluency and comprehension for a variety of purposes
- Writing: learning to produce written English with increasing fluency and accuracy to convey meaning appropriately in a range of social and academic contexts.
At Sterling Elementary, the ELL team strives to incorporate second language acquisition and SIOP strategies in planning and implementing lessons within each grade level classroom. We are responsible for the administration of the ACCESS for ELLs (Assessing Comprehension and Communication in English State-to-State for English Language Learners). This is the language proficiency assessment given to kindergarten through 12th graders who have been identified as English Language Learners. It is given annually to monitor students' progress in acquiring academic English.We encourage a home school partnership through the following outreach opportunities:
- Paperwork Assistance Night
- Reading Information Meetings
- After School Computer Sessions
- Multicultural/Diversity Celebration
- Telephone and Personal contacts
We look forward to meeting you at our back to school open house on Friday, August 29, 2014 and we will welcome the students back for a wonderful year of learning on Tuesday, September 2, 2014!
❝Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.❞