A Balanced Literacy Approach
The Reading Program at Legacy Elementary is a balanced literacy program. This approach to instruction involves teaching children to use the three cueing systems: meaning, sentence structure, and graphophonics in learning to read. Instruction integrates reading with thinking, writing, listening, and speaking.
On behalf of each student the following objectives are set:
· To develop basic skills that enable them to get meaning from print.
· To think critically about what is read.
· To use reading across the curriculum as a tool for learning.
· To experience the rewards and pleasures of reading.
· To become independent writers who write for a variety of purposes.