Welcome Back to School!
Wow, we have really started off this school year on an amazing new adventure. Those of you that were at Back to School Night, we talked about our "New way of doing school" this year. I'm so excited about this fun new challenge. We have been having a blast exploring our first project. Our overall them/driving question for the year is: How can we create authentic, locally sourced food items for an educational restaurant? This helps us with our overall school wide theme of: Farm to School.
We are off to a great start this school year! In just the few weeks that we've been in school, we've already:
WHEW! We've been busy! BUT WOW, have we had FUN!!!
- Had a locally renowned chef visit the school
- Learned the power of positive feedback and the skill of scientific observation through a video called, "Austin's Butterfly" as well as watching our Monarch caterpillars change daily before our very eyes. (We have two butterflies so far!)
- Investigated seeds and conducted experiments about seed germination
- Planted herb seeds with the 3/4 classroom
- Had a visit from "The Worm Lady"
- Held our first "Garden Day" for the school
- Decided upon our apple food product and taste-tested the recipe and modified it
- Had a visit from the "Math Magician"
- Had a visit from a local college student with awesome information on Constitution Day
Currently, we are finishing up our research to learn geography, life science, writing, and measurement skills related to the production of our first food item. We have also been working in teams researching each component of our first project and deciding on our method of delivery to our "patrons" at our sampling table that we will have set up at our back to school PTA Picnic.
Along with inter-weaving the curriculum across the subject areas we will be also focusing on how can we be the best that we can be. I want to make sure that they are all more than ready to head off to Harmony Middle School next year. We will be working on developing the skills, attitudes, and success minded principles needed to be successful in life.
As always we will continue to work on our organization. Red Folders will come home when there's something that needs to come home in them. So, please keep a look out for them on a daily basis, just in case. I will also do my best to keep this web page updated weekly. I'm hoping to get some pictures and possibly some videos linked soon.
Your child will have spelling and math homework daily, unless otherwise notated in their agendas. Please continue to encourage them to read for at least 20 minutes daily.
Here are some dates to put on your calendar:
Friday, September 18th, 2015: PTA Back to School Picnic: 5:30-7:30 pm
Tuesday, September 22nd, 2015: PTA Meeting @ 7:00 pm
Friday, September 25th, 2015: Spirit Day: Wear Red & Black/ It's also Grandparent's Day
Monday, October 12th, 2015: No School
Saturday, October 17th, 2015: Hillsboro Heritage Days: We have a school stand/project at
Tuesday, October 20th, 2015: Inner Quest extended day field trip
Always DO your BEST!
Enthusiasm Makes a Difference!
Failure is always an option!
The path to success is straight through failure!
Here's to an amazingly awesome year!