The Dominion Trail Library
"A Good Place to Find a Great Book!"
The Dominion Trail library is an instructional library. We help to provide children with print and non-print resources that correlate to library and classroom instruction. As our society has become so technologically based, it is important for children to know how and where to easily find the answers to questions. We strive to acquire and promote many types and levels of materials to accommodate all of our learners. We also would like to help students develop a lifelong love of reading.
Library Policies and Procedures
Grades K-2 are scheduled for a Library time once a week for 30 minutes. During this time, the librarian teaches a lesson. Students are then given time to check out books.
Grades 3-5 have flexibly scheduled classes. The instruction is co-planned and co-taught with the librarian and classroom teachers.
All students may come to the library any time during the school day to return and check out books. Students should return their books each week when they come for library class before checking out new ones. Verbal reminders for overdue books will be given weekly and printed overdue notices are distributed as needed.
- Kindergarten – check out one everyone fiction book
- First- check out one everyone fiction book at a time for at least the first nine weeks. When the librarian deems them ready they may check out two books at a time
- Second - check out two books at a time. Special exceptions will be made for book reports and class projects allowing students more than two books at a time
- Third, Fourth and Fifth – check out three books at a time. Special exceptions will be made for book reports and class projects allowing students more than three books at a time.
- Students MUST return their books before they may check out any further books
We encourage reading and responsibility. Students are expected to take care of their books and return them in a timely manner so everyone can enjoy and have access to the library resources.
Lost or Damaged Books
If a student loses a book or damages a book, that student may pay for the book in order to reinstate borrowing privileges. The librarian will provide a price for the book and the student may pay the library by check (made out to Dominion Trail Elementary School) or cash. If the book is located after payment has been made, a refund may be given. A refund will not be given if a replacement book has already been purchased.
Copyright 2016, Amanda Jones. All Rights Reserved.