Instructor: Jeri-Ann Williams
The SPECTRUM program is designed to address the special needs of 6th, 7th, and 8th grade intellectually gifted students as they
· learn through discovery, research, and application
· expand their intellectual curiosity
· develop initiative, creativity, and leadership
· increase their understanding of relationships among the academic disciplines
· strengthen critical thinking skills
· acquire a greater respect for the ideas and opinions of others
· pursue special interests
The curriculum is divided into units, which integrate mathematics, science, social studies, and language arts. The program includes the use of technology, media, speakers, field trips and other activities that encourage a high level thinking process. This process focuses on analysis, evaluation, and creativity.
Actual units of instruction and application may vary as the backgrounds, interests, and needs of the students change, enrichment topics may include the following:
American Sign Language
Current Event Updates and Discussion - Daily
SAT/PSAT Vocabulary Enrichment
At the end of each unit, the student completes a self-assessment. The teacher completes an evaluation at the end of each semester to be included in the student’s report card.