WHY SHOULD I JOIN THE PTA?
· Have input into the opportunities provided at HFES and decisions affecting students and school resources.
· At PTA meetings, you get the “inside scoop” on what is going on at the school.
· For dues of only $10, members are eligible for great discounts such as 10% off at Great Wolf Lodge, 14% off your T-Mobile bill, 20% off Hertz rental cars among other.
· Receive the members-only school directory.
HOW IS THE PTA FUNDED?
· The DDC is the PTA’s most substantial source of funding.
· Retailers (i.e. Giant, Harris Teeter, Food Lion & Target) give us thousands of dollars from linked store cards. Free to you but BIG money for us!
· Membership dues, BoxTops, spirit nights, and contributions from the community provide additional funding.
WHY DOES HFES USE THE DIRECT DONATION CAMPAIGN (DDC)?
· Repeated surveys have shown that a vast majority of parents prefer the one-time donation over more traditional fundraising efforts such as gift wrap or cookie sales. ALL of the DDC money goes directly to our school.
· It saves families and PTA volunteers tons of time and energy – just write a check and you’re done!
· Allows some flexibility – while we suggest a once-yearly donation of $25 per child, families are welcome to give more or less depending on their situation.
WHAT DOES THE PTA DO WITH ITS FUNDS?
While we are probably best known for our popular social events (like the Ice Cream Social, Bingo Nights, Winter Fest, and the School Dance), they are just a small portion of our budget! PTA funds actually enhance substantially our school’s curriculum and provide for HFES students in need.
· We assist with funding for the Accelerated Reader (AR), IXL Math, and Guided Reading Library programs.
· We will provide scholarships for students in need for the new After School Enrichment Program.
· We provide teachers, assistants, and support staff with supplemental funds to purchase classroom and other school supplies.
· This year, we are introducing a new cultural and diversity program.
· We provide supplemental funds to our Parent Liaison who provides clothing, school supplies and meals to HFES students and families in need.
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
· We have meetings the first Tuesday of each month. In response to requests for evening meetings, we will alternate months of morning and evening meetings at the beginning of the year and if the evening meetings are well attended we will continue to alternate.
· Check the PTA website for a current list of volunteer opportunities.
· Please come to our Volunteer Orientation Meeting on September 17th at 8:30 or contact the PTA President, Sherry Zamora, at Sherry.Zamora@hfespta.org so we can match your interests, skill set, and availability with volunteer positions.
We are a group of parents who want to be informed about decisions affecting our children’s education and time at HFES. We are NOT a social organization but are a critical link in the student-teacher-administration-family chain that plays an integral part in the place where our children spend so many of their waking hours. HFES is already a top notch institution but it can get even better when more families are involved.
For the Direct Donation Form and PTA Membership Form flyer please click here