Thank you for visiting Kindergarten’s Home Page. Below you will find answers to frequently asked questions and insight into classroom routines and procedures. If you need more assistance, please be sure to contact your child’s teacher.
What time does school start and end? School starts at 7:50 and ends at 10:50 for our a.m. students. For our p.m. students, school starts at 11:35 and ends at 2:35. For our full-day students, school starts at 7:50 and ends at 2:35.
If your child arrives after the start time, he/she must go to the office to get a pink tardy slip. If your child arrives after 8:00, you must escort he/she to the office to give an explanation for the tardiness. Also, if you know that your child id going to be absent, the office asks that you call before 9 a.m. to report the absence. The absent call-in number is 571-434-3251.
How much is lunch? Only full day and our ESL students eat lunch at school. Students may purchase a hot lunch with a choice of entrees. Students may purchase milk and ice cream treats. Please check LCPS website for prices of these items.
Students will now be able to purchase breakfast each morning at school. Students will go directly to the cafeteria when they arrive at school at 7:30 to purchase breakfast if they choose. Students who arrive at school after 7:50 will not be permitted to go to the cafeteria for breakfast since that is the time that our school instructional day begins.
How do I pay? Checks for lunch should be made out to The County of Loudoun. For information on on line payments via the Internet please click on http://www.lcps.org/Page/113053.
Students are expected to conduct themselves appropriately in the cafeteria. Behaviors expected include: using indoor voices, remaining seated unless permission to move is granted by a supervising adult, using proper table manners, and remembering that lunchtime is intended to be enjoyable but should not be misconstrued as “playtime.” The trading, giving, and selling of food between students is not permitted for sanitary and other reasons.
Will a menu be sent home? A lunch menu for full-day students is sent home at the end of each month. You may also view menus on the Countryside Website.
May I come in and volunteer? YES!! We always need volunteers in our classrooms and throughout the school. There are also ways to help at home if you cannot make it in to the school.
How much does it cost to join PTA? The cost is $15. The PTA is a great way to get involved at Countryside. Be sure to check out their website.
Is there a dress code at Countryside Elementary? Yes. The primary responsibility for student’s dress lies with the parents; however, the school must see that the dress is appropriate for the tasks of the day. Any clothing that is distracting to other students, such as very tight and short dresses, skirts, and shorts on girls, halter tops, spaghetti strap tops, or tops that expose the midriff area, and very sagging pants should not be worn. In addition the wearing of cosmetics is inappropriate in an elementary school. Loudoun County School Board Policy 8-33 prohibits the wearing of any article of clothing that has a picture or printed matter advertising any drug, tobacco, alcohol products, or weapons.
For the full day kindergarten program, all students must have proper footwear in order to participate in PE and recess. Therefore flip-flops may not be worn to school. SNEAKERS or RUBBER-SOLED shoes that hold the foot firmly are REQUIRED. Students who prefer not to wear sneakers all day should bring them to school for physical education classes. Roller shoes cannot be worn to school.
We also have a “no hats in the building” policy for all adults and all children at Countryside. The exception to the “no hat” policy will be on announced Spirit Days. Please help your child follow these policies.
Do the kindergarteners go on field trips? Yes, we will have a field trip this year. Parents will be notified at least two weeks prior to field trip of destination, cost, and purpose.
Is there homework in kindergarten? At this time homework in kindergarten is to read 15 minutes every night. You can read to your child, or if your child is able he/she can read to you. Some teachers also have an optional homework packet.
Is it okay to email the teacher with a question? Yes, it is okay to email your child’s teacher. We will make every attempt to answer your question. If the answer to your question requires more than a yes or no, we will contact you by phone or note. We CANNOT conference or talk about progress through email communication per LCPS policy.
Good Things To Know
· Take home folders are sent daily. These are our primary source of communication with you. We ask that you check the folder daily for notices, notes, and completed work. Be sure to take all information out of the folder nightly and share it with your child.
· We do not check book bags, so if you are sending money for snack or notes please put them in the Take Home Folder.
· Nine-week plans are listed under the kindergarten page. Be sure to check it out. This will give you insight to what your child will be learning quarterly.
· Newsletters will be sent home monthly via your choice of paper or email.
· Chewing gum is not permitted at school or on school buses.
· Individual student pictures will be taken twice a year. A group picture of each class is also taken in the spring. Purchase of pictures is optional.
· Dismissals-Please send a note to the classroom teacher on the morning of the early dismissal. Upon arrival at school, please report to the office to sign out your child. The student will be called to the office. For safety reasons, all students are released from the front office, not the classroom. Please, do not go to the classroom to get your child.