Instructions for completing Part II: PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY AND COMPLETELY BEFORE ACCESSING THE APPLICATION.
• All finalists must complete a Part II application package in its entirety, which includes which includes the Part II student application submitted electronically by the posted deadline. In addition applicants must also complete the writing prompt and CCTST on Saturday January 30th, 2016, at 9:00 a.m. at Dominion High School.
· Part II of the application will include informational items (name, current school, email and mail address, phone number, and math & science teacher names, and counselor name) and six short essay responses.
• Part Two must be submitted no later than Sunday February 7th, 2016, at 11:59 p.m.
• Math and science teachers will be contacted directly by the Academy of Science and provided with access to an electronic copy of the Teacher Recommendation Form, and will return completed forms directly to the Academy of Science office.
• Prior to beginning Part I of this application, the student applicants logged into the LCPS webpage at www.lcps.org to register and obtain an account password. Applicants may use this login to access Part II the application as well. You will not be able to access the application without a user name and password. If you have forgotten the user name/password that you set up in order to complete Part I of the application, you may set up a new user name/password. (Don’t worry – the use of different user names/passwords will not impact your application.) The link marked "REGISTER" is on the black bar at the top of the LCPS webpage. If an applicant is under the age of 13, we suggest that you substitute the parent’s date of birth in order to obtain a username/password. Please be sure to make a note of your username and password for your records
• When students log into Part II of the application students will be asked to provide identifying information and to provide short essay responses (250 words or less) to six questions. Students are required to answer all six questions, which are listed below. You should prepare your answers to these questions in a word document prior to logging into the application, so that you will be able to cut and paste your answers directly into the space provided.
1. What do you know about the Academy of Science? Why do you want to attend the Academy of Science?
2. What personal qualities do you possess which will enable you to be successful in a rigorous academic program such as the Academy of Science?
3. Please tell us about your involvement in extra-curricular activities.
4. Please tell us what you have done to make your community a better place to live, giving examples of your involvement.
5. Please describe an example of a group project in which you have been involved. How were you able to contribute to organizing the group’s efforts, resolve problems, and accomplish the group’s task?
6. What other information should we know about you as we consider your application?
· Applicants are able to log in, begin their application, and return to the application multiple times before submitting their final application. There are three pages in the application. If you chose to exit application at the end of Page 1 or page 2, you may click on the CANCEL box to exit. The information you have entered on that page will be saved. When you return to the application at a later time and have completed it, you will click on the "DONE" button at the bottom of Page 3. Once you have clicked on "DONE," your application has been submitted and you will be unable to make any further revisions or corrections.
· The next screen that you will see will have a message telling you that the application is completed. We strongly recommend that you print a copy of this screen for your records, and click on the PRINT RESPONSE button to print a copy of your completed application. You should save both of these for your records.
PLEASE CLICK HERE to access Part II of the AOS Application, which must be submitted no later than Sunday February 7th, 2016 @ 11:59 p.m. No applications can be accepted after this deadline.