AOS APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION 2014-2015
Please read the following information and directions carefully before submitting your application. The link for the application form follows the directions.
Mission Statement: The mission of the LCPS Academy of Science is to provide an academic environment where students are encouraged to develop creative scientific endeavors of their own design, while having the opportunity to pursue a rich, well-rounded high school experience.
Description of Program: The Academy of Science (AOS) is a magnet program open to all students who are residents of Loudoun County. The cornerstone of science preparation is a ninth/tenth grade integrated science program, which blends the physical sciences of physics, chemistry and earth science into a seamless, inquiry based lab course in preparation for advanced coursework. The goal of the lab program is student designed investigations coupled to an in-depth writing/scoring rubric. In addition, sophomores begin instruction in basic research technique to be followed by two years of research in a topic of their choosing. The Math program offers courses from Algebra and Trigonometry through Multivariable Mathematics. All courses have a heavy component of statistics and modeling and are taught in terms of practical application in order to coincide with the science program. Students attend the AOS on alternating days, taking science, math, and research courses at the Academy and all other subjects at their home school on the opposite day. This schedule enables students to maintain involvement in academic and extra-curricular activities at their home school while participating in a research-based challenging math and science program.
Residency: All applicants to the Academy of Science, must, at the time of application, live with a parent or legal guardian who resides full time in Loudoun County.
Admission Criteria: Finalists' applications are reviewed holistically using the following criteria:
· Middle School Transcript and Grade 8 mid-year report card.
· Successful Completion of Algebra I: Current eighth grade students must successfully complete Algebra I with a grade of B (or better) before the end of the current school year. All ninth grade AOS students are enrolled in AOS Analytical Geometry and Functions with Transformations; students who attend the AOS are expected to accelerate math courses through Geometry.
· Teacher Recommendations: Students selected as finalists will be required to request two recommendations; one from the eighth grade science teacher, and one from the eighth grade math teacher.
· Responses to Application Questions: There are six short response questions in this application packet. Please answer them concisely and completely. Please limit your responses to the space provided. No attachments will be expected.
· Interview: An interview may be requested by the Admission Committee as part of the selection process.
Instructions for completing Part II: PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY AND COMPLETELY BEFORE ACCESSING THE APPLICATION.
• Students who have been notified that they are finalists in the AOS application process for 2014-15 must complete Part II of the application in order to be considered for admission.
• Part II of the application will include informational items (name, current school, email and mail address, phone number, and math & science teacher names, counselor name) and six short essay responses.
• Part Two must be submitted no later than February 6, 2015, at 11:59 p.m.
• Teachers will be contacted directly by the Academy of Science and provided with access to an electronic copy of the Teacher Recommendation Form, and will return completed forms directly to the Academy of Science office. The AOS office will contact the teachers, we do suggest that finalists give teachers the courtesy of asking for their recommendations.
• Prior to beginning Part I of this application, the student applicants logged into the LCPS webpage at www.lcps.org to register and obtain an account password. Applicants will use this login to access Part II the application as well. You will not be able to access the application without a user name and password. If you have forgotten or misplaced your user name/password, please register for a new account at www.lcps.org.
• When students log into Part II of the application students will be asked to provide identifying information and to provide short essay responses (250 words or less) to six questions. Students are required to answer all six questions, which are listed below. You should prepare your answers to these questions in a word document prior to logging into the application, so that you will be able to cut and paste your answers directly into the space provided.
1. What do you know about the Academy of Science? Why do you want to attend the Academy of Science?
2. What personal qualities do you possess which will enable you to be successful in a rigorous academic program such as the Academy of Science?
3. Please tell us about your involvement in extra-curricular activities.
4. Please tell us what you have done to make your community a better place to live, giving examples of your involvement.
5. Please describe an example of a group project in which you have been involved. How were you able to contribute to organizing the group’s efforts, resolve problems, and accomplish the group’s task?
6. What other information should we know about you as we consider your application?
§ Finalists are able to log in, begin their application, and return to the application multiple times before submitting their final application. There are three pages in the application. If you chose to exit application at the end of Page 1 or page 2, you may click on the CANCEL box to exit. The information you have entered on that page will be saved. When you return to the application at a later time and have completed it, you will click on the "DONE" button at the bottom of Page 3. Once you have clicked on "DONE," your application has been submitted and you will be unable to make any further revisions or corrections.
· The next screen that you will see will have a message telling you that the application is completed. We strongly recommend that you print a copy of this screen for your records, and click on the PRINT RESPONSE button to print a copy of your completed application. You should save both of these for your records.
Please click here to access Part II of the AOS Application, which must be submitted no later than February 6, 2015, at 11:59 p.m.