AOS APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION 2014-2015
Please read the following information and directions carefully before submitting your application. The link for the application form follows the directions.
Mission Statement: The mission of the LCPS Academy of Science is to provide an academic environment where students are encouraged to develop creative scientific endeavors of their own design, while having the opportunity to pursue a rich, well-rounded high school experience.
A student at the Academy of Science will acquire skills:
• to ask sophisticated scientific questions and conduct research and experimentation,
• to explore the interconnections between the sciences, math, and the humanities,
• to read, write, and communicate at a level that is required of university students, and
• to develop perspectives to assess the impact of scientific advancements
Description of Program: The Academy of Science (AOS) is a magnet program open to all students who are residents of Loudoun County. The cornerstone of science preparation is a ninth/tenth grade integrated science program, which blends the physical sciences of physics, chemistry and earth science into a seamless, inquiry based lab course in preparation for advanced coursework. The goal of the lab program is student designed investigations coupled to an in-depth writing/scoring rubric. In addition, sophomores begin instruction in basic research technique to be followed by two years of research in a topic of their choosing. The Math program offers courses from Algebra and Trigonometry through Multivariable Mathematics. All courses have a heavy component of statistics and modeling and are taught in terms of practical application in order to coincide with the science program. Students attend the AOS on alternating days, taking science, math, and research courses at the Academy and all other subjects at their home school on the opposite day. This schedule enables students to maintain involvement in academic and extra-curricular activities at their home school while participating in a research-based challenging math and science program.
Residency: All applicants to the Academy of Science, must, at the time of application, live with a parent or legal guardian who resides full time in Loudoun County.
Admission Criteria: Applications are reviewed holistically using the following criteria:
· Middle School Transcript and Grade 8 mid-year report card.
· Successful Completion of Algebra I: Current eighth grade students must successfully complete Algebra I with a grade of B (or better) before the end of the current school year. All ninth grade AOS students are enrolled in AOS Analytical Geometry and Functions with Transformations; students who attend the AOS are expected to accelerate math courses through Geometry.
· Teacher Recommendations: Students selected as finalists will be required to request two recommendations; one from the eighth grade science teacher, and one from the eighth grade math teacher.
· Responses to Application Questions: There are six short response questions in this application packet. Please answer them concisely and completely. Please limit your responses to the space provided. No attachments will be expected.
· Interview: An interview may be requested by the Admission Committee as part of the selection process.